Voices

A look at the world through the eyes of a woman.

Friday, December 10, 2004

BITCHOLOGY

When I stand up for myself and my beliefs, they call me a bitch.
When I stand up for those I love, they call me a bitch.
When I speak my mind, think my own thoughts or do things my own way, they call me a bitch.
Being a bitch means I won't compromise what's in my heart.
It means I live my life MY way.

It means I won't allow anyone to step on me.
When I refuse to tolerate injustice and speak against it, I am defined as a bitch.
The same thing happens when I take time for myself instead of being everyone's maid, or when I act a little selfish.

It means I have the courage and strength to allow myself to be who I truly am and won't become anyone else's idea of what they think I "should" be.
I am outspoken, opinionated and determined.
I want what I want and there is nothing wrong with that!

So try to stomp on me, try to douse my inner flame, try to squash every ounce of beauty
I hold within me.
You won't succeed.
And if that makes me a bitch, so be it.
I embrace the title and am proud to bear it.

B = Babe
I = In
T = Total
C = Control of
H = Herself

B = Beautiful
I = Intelligent
T = Talented
C = Charming
H = Hell of a Woman

B = Beautiful
I = Individual
T = That
C = Can
H = Handle anything

(Author Anonymous)

2 Comments:

  • At 5:07 AM, Blogger carewser said…

    The problem i have with that "Bitchology" thing is this; back when women were far more subservient to men than they are now, they were also a lot less angry. There was no "grrrl" movement, girls rarely got in fistfights and if they resented men at all, they didn't speak about it much. Society 50+ years ago was far more harmonius than it is today. Today, we have all separated into our own angry little groups, feminism being one of the most odious as it promotes self-centredness amongst women more than anything else as exemplified by that ode. YOU go girl, it's all about YOU, do what YOU want to do, think about yourself the whole time. Give little thought or havce little allegiance to those you are close to or have responsibilities to, like your significant other, your kids, your parents, or your friends. Women have never had as much freedom as they do today, yet ironically they are angrier than ever. Clearly, something is out of order, and that something is feminism.

     
  • At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anger is what often fuels change! I am both married and a parent of a daughter, and believe my place in the world, and certainly my daughters have and will be better because of feminism and all of those angry feminists before us. I think about my family's well-being in all my decision-making, but I also include me - you have too. If women are still angry, or as you say angrier than ever, maybe we still have a lot to be angry about, and that anger still works as a catalyst for change, keeping us moving forward for all of our sakes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home